Thursday, September 4, 2008

The fertility doctor


I was quickly diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome and started taking Clomid to induce ovulation. The first cycle didn't work so we upped the dosage to 150 and it worked. We were thrilled and decided to do artificial insemination. I can't explain how difficult it is to wait for 2 weeks and then have your period come. The ironic thing is my whole life I just wanted my period to come to feel normal and seeing it after IUI was like a punch to my gut, a feeling that I couldn't breathe. The day I got my period I was at work and my sister-in-law called me just minutes after I started my period and of course told me that she was 5 weeks pregnant. I lost it, the hardest thing for me to think was how they had only been trying for 2 months!! Their baby will be the first born to my husband's parents whom I adore and wanted to be the one to bless them with their first grandbaby. The minute she told me they were going to start trying I knew the call would come. I just never expected it to be the same day I learned that our IUI hadn't worked. They came to visit that weekend and everyone was just fawning over her and how she was pregnant. I felt so hollow and empty. I had expected to tell them of our pregnancy when they came to visit and here we were congratulating them. I needed to be strong for them so they didn't think I wasn't happy for them, which I of course was I just had some personal issues to choke down. After a month we tried again for another IUI with a little help from Clomid. This one didn't work either and we were back at stage one once again. The next month was the same 6 days of clomid followed by IUI. No luck!!

No comments: